Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Week 23.

There is a large mango in my uterus, and it weighs about 1.5 pounds. At least this is what my pregnancy tracker is telling me. I know this mango to be an inspiring gymnast and/or slam dancer, who feels the need to spend most of every day wriggling or hiccuping in my belly. I love every minute of it.

This little 'who' is one lucky who. With somewhere between 7-12 brothers & sisters who are awaiting his/her arrival. We had a conversation at the breakfast table last week that went something like this:

Gabe(10): I'm going to teach the baby to skate & bike & scooter, and probably to play soccer, too.
Joe: What if s/he turns out to be better than you?
Gabe: Then I guess I will quit competing and become a coach.

Athan(6): I'm going to teach the baby to swim & rock climb & play Minecraft
Gabe: I'm never letting this baby near you on the computer. Minecraft is stupid and will rot it's brain.

Eve(7) (Jordan's daughter): There's a baby in Jen's tummy, you know!
Luke (2): That's my sister!!!!
Eve: well it's kind of like my sister too, except it isn't, well maybe sort of. I don't really know. But I would really like it to be my sister.
Darius (6, friend who lives on our property): mama, will this baby be like my brother or sister, too?
Alyssa (his mom): not really, but you can call it anything you want, I bet Jen would be OK with that.
Darius: Jen, can it be my brother or sister? All of these kids have brothers & sisters & I don't.
Me: well, when the baby is born, it isn't going to know who it's 'real' brothers & sisters are - so if you love it, it will love you back like a brother.
Darius: That's freaking awesome.

I agree with Darius - it's freaking awesome. Babies come into the world with no boundaries - s/he won't know that this child is a half sister, this one is technically not related at all, this one is a cousin, etc. There are just PEOPLE - all different sizes, colors, shapes & smells. And there is LOVE. Period. Oh, and hunger, wetness, and cold ;) Have to deal with those, too....

We are getting close to settling on some names - they will not be released to the public before the birth ;). But I am falling in love with baby even more as s/he gets more concrete. This will be a real person, with a name & a nickname, and arms & legs and all of those wonderful things.

I also met with Ginger of Earthside Birth Photography - I'm so excited to have her attend the birth and capture the sacred event - she does beautiful work, and knowing her philosophy of non-intrusiveness with birth, I know she will be a perfect person to have around. She is also excited to photograph in the Yurt - it's a really beautiful & unique space, I'm getting more excited to nest out there close to the birth & have the baby born into its' sacred walls. We also start birth class tomorrow night - Joe has never experienced a natural birth before, and I need him trained ;). It will be nice to meet with some other pregnant women, too, even though I probably know more about birth that the woman teaching the class, as wonderful as she is. I'll take it as an opportunity to spread some wisdom when I can, and provide support as needed. And take the support where it is offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment